RE: improv

From: Judith Vera Diamondstone (JDiamondstone@Clarku.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 06 2003 - 06:41:36 PDT

Hi, Carrie (& Ana, Sophie, & others)

I have found arguments for improvisation in insititutional settings (the
everyday/mundane/quotidian is filled with improvisation, anyway of course)
to be hopeful but. The "but" is entailed by Ana's comment, that improv is
an equalizer. It occurs in an 'as if' space where authority is suspended and
interaction is inconsequential. [Hooray for pleasure!!] It levels the
playing field & the strata of "eco-social" systems. This is not to say that
flexibility in our own responsive performances is not desirable -- it's in
fact necessary. Stuckness is costly. BUT. In institutional settings, it's
more in the interests of some than others to suspend power & control.

The other qualification that I find myself wanting to make is that we are
always making points. Improvisation lowers the stakes on shared perspectives
-- beyond the perspective that we are all in this together, which is the
most important one. But there are times when we have to recognize that much
is at stake, and the point is worth standing on. Or no? What do you think?

I remember, decades ago, when there was an intervention in corporate
settings to free up "in-the-box" thinking (the pop-top kleenex box came out
of that); the EastSide Institute in NYC, as you no doubt know, introduces
improvisational techniques into institutional settings, though I don't know
if anyone outside the Insitute has researched what it does.

Anyway, its great to see great conversations "here" again.
Judy