right author, wrong book

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 04 2003 - 10:10:07 PDT

Well, one of our more literate invisible participants has reminded me
that Kitty and Levin have their "inner speech" conversation in Anna
Karenina, not War and Peace. At least I got the right author!

Another fascinating example from Anna Karenina, if my memory serves
me better than in the prior case (!) is when Vronsky finds that Anna
is pregnant and looks at a clock. Instead of "seeing the time" he
sees the arrows and their positions and the elements of the clock, but
his perception, owing to the mental crisis he experiences, is lacking
the wholistic characteristic of normal human perception. This example
appears in Eisenshtein's writing.

(It is worth mentioning that there was, at least for a few years,
an active set of interactions involving Eisenshtein and Luria/Vygotsky,
another example of connections between chat and art).
mike