Re: literature and psychology

From: David Preiss (david.preiss@yale.edu)
Date: Sun Aug 03 2003 - 21:15:46 PDT

Thanks, Mike, for taking the time to answer my question. It is interesting
(and sad) that mainstream psychologists have been so reluctant to use
literary works as a source of insight for their work. Of course, psychology
would have been so different if psychologists would have had the courage to
tackle literature not only to support, partially, their ideas but also as a
source of research questions. It would have been less obvious too! I guess
that what is behind that attitude is not only psychologists' mistrust of the
humanities in general but also their rejection to the work (and openness) of
interpretation. There are exceptions, of course. I think especially of the
work of Jerome Bruner and what we could call the "narrative school" that
follows up his work. Still, it is impossible to think today of any
psychology department in the US that would be open to hire an assistant
professor with a research program in the psychology of literature!