RE: synomorphs in Gerglish

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 28 2003 - 19:28:31 PDT

Eugene-- Aren't every day events dramatic performances of all involved? I
know we can make distinctions -- participating in a national spelling bee
is not doing your homework-- but the dramatic metaphor seems a powerful
conceptual tool quite generally.

I find it fascinating that Bakhtin is used by many to bridge between
Vygotskian dyadic events and larger social context when Bakhtin's materials
are drawn so largely from literature while so many of us study "texts" that
are constructed before our eyes. The nature of the data must influence
the analysis, but the topic is often not addressed. The use of literary
material in LSV's writings has had a powerful effect on me. It was considered
absolutely inappropriate by the people with whom I studied.
mike