Re: synomorphs

From: Jay Lemke (jaylemke@umich.edu)
Date: Sun Jul 27 2003 - 12:58:44 PDT

Ok, I searched, I found, mainly Bill Barowy, March 2001, giving an
interesting short account of synomorph as a unit of analysis that combines
action-and-setting, with example of a basketball game and its court of play.

Nearly everything else on a search of synomorph, with or without Barker's
name, comes from Germany and Austria, with one hit in Japanese. Seems quite
popular in developmental psychology in Germany, but I'll still have to find
the original source.

  Is this Roger G. Barker (and related work by Herbert F Wright)? I'm a
pretty good source-sleuth, but these are really common names, and
"synomorph" probably isn't in the title.

JAY.

At 11:25 AM 7/27/2003 -0700, you wrote:

>Eugene et al-- Interesting branching of the discussion which, unfortunately,
>I cannot trace in all its interesting directions right now.
>
>Re synomorph: For prior lchc discussion, use google search on lchc and
>you will come up with some prior discussion but no full definition. I do not
>have relevant Barker refs at home, so unless someone else comes up with
>the appropriate passage, it will take a day or two to follow through.
>
>Lave in Cognition in Practice, p. 149 discusses idea of behavior setting
>(also a relevant footnote).
>
>I ask the question because Barker seems so often relevant yet forgotten.
>Jean focuses on his shortcomings, from her perspective. But she interprets
>him as an environmental determinist in ways that may not draw the most
>useful lessons from his work. There is no subject index to Cognition in
>Practice which makes searching it difficult for purposes like this. More
>on this
>asap.
>mike

Jay Lemke