Re: Space and time in chat

From: Bill Barowy (wbarowy@attbi.com)
Date: Tue Jul 15 2003 - 12:51:27 PDT

On Tuesday 15 July 2003 3:15 pm, Mike Cole promulgated:

> why only rules? how could this not involve the division of labor, for
> example?

Oh yeah, of course! I hve an example with lots of observation and maybe even
photos, most of which are proably pre-9/11: Navigating through an airport in
which a lengthy segment of the space is divided by a people mover aka moving
walkway. This forces some people to walk to the left of the people mover in
order to access their gates, against the through-walker flow of traffic in
the opposite directino on the right. The way people are able to succeed is
by inter-personal-spatial negotiation, mediated by communication sometimes,
"body signals" more often, and the division of labor is definitely involved.

I think Barker's use of control-circuits more or less obviates environmental
determinism, but i don't quite see the connections with behaviorism, either
for or against. Any refernces readily handy?