Re: space/time

From: Kevin Leander (kevin.leander@vanderbilt.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 11 2003 - 08:16:56 PDT

My sense is that the chrono-tope indexes both temporal and spatial
dimensions but in the end that Bakhtin is really more interested in
time than space, and particularly in the narrative development (or
non-development) of characters.

Bakhtin's chronotope pushes us further toward the idea the time-space
is not simply given (e.g., that activity happens "in" time-space) but
that it is socially constructed through language (activity produces
time-space). Below are a few papers that consider these issues. I'm
particularly fond of how Elizabeth Hirst links up local (time-space)
language practices in LOTE (Language Other Than English) classrooms
with the institutional and state production of people. I think her
paper has already been published but don't have additional citation
info. handy.

Kevin

Hirst, E. (in press). Diverse voices in a second language classroom: Burlesque,
parody and mimicry. Language and Education: An International Journal.

Leander. (2001). "This is our freedom bus going home right now":
Producing and hybridizing space-time contexts in pedagogical
discourse. Journal of Literacy Research, 33, 637-679.

Stuart Allan (1994). "When Discourse is Torn from Realtity": Bakhtin
and the principle of
chronotopicity. Journal: Time and Society 3(2)

--
Kevin Leander, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Teaching and Learning