juries and coding behavior

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 10 2003 - 07:54:01 PDT

Hi Karen-- Sorry to be slow in responding, but my unix program cuts off
the return address in the long xmca string and you did not sign your note
so I had to wait until it appeared on the webpage and then find a moment to
respond.

I should think that idioculture formation in juries would be a fascinating
subject for study, if it were legal. Twelve Angry Men comes to mind.

Its interesting that in context of that content the word ideology seems
completely appropriate, but I had not thought to use it with respect to the
issue of behavioral coding of kids interacting. Something like "world view"
might has seemed more appropriate, but it amounts to about the same thing.

About being a beginner. Its part of my world view/ideology with respect to the
culture of this list that academic rank, experience with the specific texts,
etc., is irrelevant to participation. Its the content and appropriatability
(if there is such a thing!) of the content that counts. I am referred to
as Mike by the undergraduates I work with so there should be no need for
you or anyone else to Dr. Cole me. Hmmmm. another kind of distance go
accompany Kevin's emphasis on space. Call it social distance?

Jerome Bruner has been writing about the law. Have you had a chance to check
it out? Since he is an old timer in the area of culture, literacy, and
development, but a newcomer with respect to the law, you might find his
take interesting.
mike