bridging the times

From: Jay Lemke (jaylemke@umich.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 07 2003 - 14:36:51 PDT

Elina identified the really hard task here. It's one I think that Mike has
dealt with repeatedly and more successfully than most. Maybe he has some
advice?

The problem here is a double translation, from Russian to English, and from
1960s Russian intellectual culture to 2000s "international" intellectual
culture. The discourses have shifted a lot because the issues that concern
us also have, though maybe not at much as the accumulated history of our
terminologies might suggest. Maybe one approach is to stick close to the
core issues: what do the two periods still have in common in terms of
problems-to-solve? What were the writers you are trying to "translate" for
us, Elina, most wanting to do, to understand, to change? Much of that will
still be with us. This is the common link that makes us want to read their
insights and ideas, and willing to jump the hurdles of different
terminology and discourses.

JAY.

At 09:01 AM 7/7/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>Jay, David and Kevin,
>Thanks for the suggestions and references. Jay, how do you introduce
>through translation the revolutionary ideas constrained by the ideological
>vocabulary of the 60s Russia into heteroglossic multilayered international
>postmodern discourse? It seems that one has to bridge cultures, times and
>theoretical boundaries.And the task is just practical - for those voices
>to be heard.That is one of the issues I am struggling with. Thanks for
>food for thought. Sorry for overloading the list with the posings.
>
>Elina

Jay Lemke
Professor
University of Michigan