(no subject)

From: Judith Vera Diamondstone (JDiamondstone@Clarku.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 07 2003 - 08:49:24 PDT

Dear CH-SIG members and friends,

First, let me acknowledge that mea culpa on timing.
Since we did not vote on a THEME for the upcoming AERA, and since time is
short, and since I'd like not to be the only person shaping our SIG program,
and since I'd like to encourage jointly planned sessions, I'd like to
propose a new SIG procedure for AERA proposal planning.

The Council on Anth. and Ed. within the Amer. Anth. Assoc allows those who
have an idea for a paper or paper session to post it to their discussion
list, with an invitation for others to join in a thematic session. While we
sometimes do this, as Pedro has done, it is not a SIG policy that interested
presenters do this.

I'm thinking that we could use the SIG dicussion list to develop a more
community-based way of proposal planning by individuals who don't otherwise
know of one another's plans.

Due to the new AERA on-line system, I am receiving inquiries from
individuals who are not members of the SIG. It would be nice to sign them up
to the SIG discussion list, in case the conversation there over possible
sessions might help to make somewhat related work more conversant with CHAT.

What do you think about adopting this practice, in order to facilitate
coherent SIG sessions and JOINT sessions with other divisions and sigs.

Do we need a voting booth to make the decision? Eugene, would you be able to
put one in place in the next day or so?

Judy, on behalf of the CH-SIG