Re: request for some clarification

From: Elina Lampert-Shepel (ellampert@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jul 07 2003 - 08:19:11 PDT

Phil,
I believe that James Wertsch's unit of analysis is a very helpful idea. I am referring to it in my study on teacher's reflection. Although, the concept of unit as a germ-cell of development is always historical and context and content dependent.

From your comment on subject/agent difference, agent seems to be more appropriate for my translation for the English-speaking world.
Thanks,
Elina

Phil Chappell <phil_chappell@access.inet.co.th> wrote:
This would be a good question to pose to James Wertsch, who uses the term
"agent-acting-with-mediational-means" as an irreducible unit of analysis.
Of course, this opens the debate on the individual/collective dimension
that Mike refers to.

For me, agentivity always conjures up intentionality, disposition and
significance, while subjectivity, a little like Bill says, is cloaked in a
more scientific/experimental robe.

Phil

I have on my table a violin string. It is free. I twist one end of
it and it responds. It is free. But it is not free to do what a
violin string is supposed to do - to produce music. So I take it,
fix it in my violin and tighten it until it is taut. Only then it
is free to be a violin string.
               Sir Rabindranath Tagore.