Re: AERA

From: Pedro R Portes (prport01@louisville.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 30 2003 - 10:19:52 PDT

That rumour is rather official as is the one about your b-day being
around that time...

As I'm finishing my book on Dismantling the Achievement Gap (ACA) now,
which i hope come out next year, I have been able to assemble a host of
categories of approaches/solutions being offered that vary interestingly
along a CHAT sort of analysis.
Blind men before the elephant image)
Besides the simple single barrel models, a number of more complex,
necessary models or components to the conundrum are emerging.
These are still not sufficient to effect population effects in terms of
the still present 4-grade level gap again found in the 2003 NAEP report
on Reading.....etc.

In the book, I am sketching what a CHAT oriented alternative might
look like and thus propose a session on this topic for us to critique
and extend. Peter Smagorinsky is familiar with the blueprint and might
help along with you and others inerested on this topic. Essentially it
is about excellence through equity first, exposing the
shortsightednedness of Education Trust types of solutions on fixing
/focusing solely on test performance (neobehaviorism) and offering
policy makers an alternative road map.

I can share chapter drafts at this time for anyone interested, proposal
or not until July 9th then I'm off to Peru until the end of July
(27th).
I believe the AERA deadline is generally first week of August (4th or
1st).

I suggest co-sponsoring with a dividion like G or a policy oriented
one.

I will wrap up summer classes in 3 hours!!!!!!! pedro

Pedro R. Portes
Professor of Educational&
Counseling Psychology

>>> mcole@weber.ucsd.edu 06/30/03 11:19AM >>>

There is a rumour that AERA is in San Diego next year. Anyone got any
plans or proposals?
mike