RE: chasing object(s)

From: Steve Gabosch (bebop101@comcast.net)
Date: Mon Jun 23 2003 - 14:06:00 PDT

Dale,
Thank you, Dale, your comments were most helpful. This morning I had a
chance to study the recent posts by Harry Daniels, Jay Lemke and Victor
(Ben Reshef family <victor) and want to continue this discussion on Kirsten
Foot's paper on Pursuing the Object. Lots of important ideas to sort
through! Jay nailed several of the questions that are on my mind, and I
want to touch on some points he brings up that I find very illuminating.
Victor's take is very interesting - his quotes from Peter Jones bring me
back to a really interesting discussion on Ilyenkov's article The Concept
of the Ideal - along with articles by Bakhurst and Wartofsky - that we had
on that xmcacourse that just finished up. Victor is aiming at the heart at
this problem of the object - and a deepgoing debate I believe is going on
under the surface about the nature of the material and the ideal, the
subject and the object, etc - in going to these writings and ideas. Time
is limited so it may take me a day or two to write something cohesive - and
concise - tying these ideas together, or at least sorting some of them out
for myself. I agree with Vygotsky's idea that the overall struggle is
between idealism and materialism, and these explorations into the nature of
the object of human activity Kirsten's paper guides us towards is part of
this larger historic process.

- Steve