Re: play

From: Ben Kirshner (kirshner@stanford.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 19 2003 - 18:45:17 PDT

I'd be interested in a discussion about play after the Foote article
discussion has concluded...I say this because I've been spending a lot of
time in youth organizations where young people do collaborative work
together after school and there is so much play and humor there that
presents interesting puzzles to me as an observer...like, how do i convey
the humor that is present in these interactions in the field notes i
record? what does humor and play have to do with what people are
learning? what is play accomplishing in different situations? (if i even
can treat it so instrumentally). one last question: is humor one variant
of play, or a different species altogether?

all this just to say i've been thinking about this topic recently, albeit
in a very atheoretical way...would be interested in suggestions for
articles to read or ways to think about this.

thanks for bringing it up,
ben