RE: umwelt and context

From: Cunningham, Donald James (cunningh@indiana.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 12 2003 - 07:31:25 PDT

Sorry Mike (and others). I should know that my attempts at humor fall
flat on email (and often ftf as well!). Of course this is an important
question.

I do not know Vygotsky's work well enough to answer the question of
whether he was a contextualist. My only point was that the answer will
probably depend upon what you (we) mean by context. Every theoretical
position I know has a point of view on this, sometimes explicitly,
sometimes implicitly. Even the word you use in your reply, affordance,
has a contextual aspect. With respect to visual perception, Gibson
considers the environment to be the surfaces that separate substances
(the "things" in the world) from the medium (air, water) in which
animals live. But environments also afford things (such as shelter,
locomotion, etc.). There is information in light for perception but also
for the perception of what surfaces afford. To perceive something is to
perceive what it affords, its value or meaning. To quote Gibson, "The
affordances of the environment are what it offers the animal, what it
provides or furnishes, either for good or ill" (p. 127). But affordances
do not exist independent of an animal; the term refers to both the
environment and animal. "An affordance is neither an objective property
nor a subjective property; or it is both if you like... (it) points both
ways, to the environment and the observer"(p. 129). The terrestrial
surface, for example, may be horizontal, flat, extended and rigid, thus
affording support to certain terrestrial animals. But this affordance is
relative to particular terrestrial animals, not an abstract property of
the physical world. This is model is actually quite like von Uexkull's
umwelt. Gibson is a contexualist in this sense of the word context.

Don Cunningham
Indiana University