Vygotsky and context

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 09 2003 - 19:48:24 PDT

I would greatly appreciate people's ideas about whether or not you consider
Vygotsky to have been a contextualist. I have been surveying books on
theories of cognitive development where he is so considered. But isn't
LSV that person who said that the special characteristic of humans is to
supercede local context? On the surface at least, this seems like a
contradiction or a misunderstanding.

This question is not motivated by the question on assessment that appeared
earlier today. But the two issues are not independent of each other. K Vann
in an ealier issue of MCA reviewed the *Contexts of Learning" book and
noted that issues of assessment seemed conspicuosly absent.

The race for common discussion of the post Foot discussion is running neck
and neck. Vote early, and vote often, if you come from Chicago and can
hack the system! :-)
mike