RE: Thinking in a foreign language

From: Angel Lin (enangel@cityu.edu.hk)
Date: Wed May 07 2003 - 04:27:07 PDT

Dear Vera, Elina, and ALL,

Sounds like a very interesting symposium idea! I'd very much like to join in.
I've just come back from the conference of the ISLS (International Society for
Language Studies) in St. Thomas, Virgin Islands, U.S. Very interesting,
multilingual/multicultural communities there. Will look at the messages and
respond. Looks like many interesting ideas have evolved!

Best,
Angel

>===== Original Message From Elina Lampert-Shepel <ellampert@yahoo.com> =====
>Dear Vera,
>
>Voluntary action/ act / behavior in the connection to the problematics of
multilingualism is a new area for me. But I have been thinking /researching
for a while the influence of mediational means on higher psychological
functions in various cultural contexts. I love your idea of language
completion (competition?). It will be fascinating to explore of whether and
how some of the previously internalized higher psychological functions are
being transformed when mediated by a different language.

>I am very interested in the idea of the symposium. “CHAT perspectives on the
multilingualism: Multivoiced and Multilingual Self? Just brainstorming…I do
not want to lose an issue of thinking and speech/ inner speech/
multilingualism. Have to run to a meeting. This is how creative collaboration
is sometimes brutally terminated by institutional mandates…J What else is new?

>What do you think?
>

>Elina
>

>Vera John-Steiner <vygotsky@unm.edu> wrote: Thanks, it worked. And I found
the notion of voluntary action fascinating, because I,too, am aware of making
some choices of how to explore thoughts in the process of linguistic
completion. That is why I find inner speech a meaningful concept, it is closer
to condensed meaning than to realized speech.Let us give some thought to a
CHAT symposium on multilingualism Vera ----- Original Message ----- From:
Elina Lampert-Shepel To: xmca@weber.ucsd.edu Sent: Tuesday, April 29, 2003
5:18 PMSubject: Re: Thinking in a foreign language
>Dear Vera,Sorry that my message was unreadable... maybe Columbia computers
are on strike? Anyway, I attached the message as a file. Let me know if it is
still unreadable.Elina

>"Vera P. John-Steiner" <vygotsky@unm.edu> wrote:Dear Elena,
>I am unable to read more than a couple of lines of your message, could
>you resend it through another method. I don't understand why it is not
>working.
>Thanks, Vera
>--
>---------------------------------
>Vera P. John-Steiner
>Department of Linguistics
>Humanities Bldg. 526
>University of New Mexico
>Albuquerque, NM 87131
>(505) 277-6353 or 277-4324
>Internet: vygotsky@unm.edu
>---------------------------------
>

>I have on my table a violin string. It is free. I twist one end of
>it and it responds. It is free. But it is not free to do what a
>violin string is supposed to do - to produce music. So I take it,
>fix it in my violin and tighten it until it is taut. Only then it
>is free to be a violin string.
>Sir Rabindranath Tagore.

>I have on my table a violin string. It is free. I twist one end of
>it and it responds. It is free. But it is not free to do what a
>violin string is supposed to do - to produce music. So I take it,
>fix it in my violin and tighten it until it is taut. Only then it
>is free to be a violin string.
> Sir Rabindranath Tagore.

Angel Lin, Ph.D.(Toronto)
Associate Professor