RE: Thinking in a foreign language

From: Elina Lampert-Shepel (ellampert@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Apr 29 2003 - 12:20:04 PDT

Dear all,
I am also very interested in "thinking" in different languages...As a multilingual person ( Russian, Ukrainian, English, Latin, little French...) I believe that language and cultural literacy are in dialectical relationship, being mediators to each other. I few issues concerning thinking in different languages from my experiences:

   As a teacher of EFL, at some point of my career, I developed curriculum for 6-7- year -olds based on Bakhtinian ideas of speech genres. I noticed that social roles performed by children allowed them to construct their OTHER SELVES in a different culture. So the interplay speech genres-social roles created a totally different context of learning EFL as a socio-cultural medium embedded into human experience.
   Do our thoughts have cultural origins? I remember as I was interpreting simultaneously to our British colleagues Boris Elkonin’s presentation – mission impossible from the point of view of my Russian colleagues…J Vasiliy Davydov observing the situation asked me what I was telling to British professors : Elina, what are you telling them???? In fact, they somehow understood what Boris was saying and started asking him questions, while our bewildered Russian friends were still struggling with making sense of it. Obviously, it can be different interpretations of why it happened. But I will take risks to add some complexity to the situation. When I analyzed the situation, I realized that Boris was using Florenskiy- Losev’s “naming-renaming” pattern of thinking. Maybe the naming-renaming dynamics was simplified in the process of translation; maybe this pattern of thinking was acceptable for English colleagues. But still, how are higher psychological functions transformed in !
 the process of learning another language and adding another system of meanings? Does it create a qualitative shift in our imagination, analysis, theoretical thinking, etc.?
   I believe there is another interesting domain where second language acquisition is related to what Vygotsky called voluntary behavior. I noticed that now I am consciously choosing English vs.Russian in different situations. When the idea is just emerging, there is twilight of thought; Russian is more helpful for me, because it is vague. It allows wandering in the jungles of the senses without transforming them into meanings (I am using Leontiev’s sense vs. meaning). However, when I have to articulate or communicate the idea, English is much more helpful. I believe that the situation when you can consciously choose mediational means of your thinking ( language in my example) is one of the possible examples of voluntary behavior. Therefore, there is a value in teaching language as a mediational means.

What do you think?

Thanks to all of you who made me think about these language experiences…

Elina

Ana Marjanovic-Shane <anamshane@speakeasy.net> wrote:Dear Vera, Huong, Mike, I am also very interested in the issue of "thinking" in a language (foreign or native, L2/L1). I think we all have some experiences but it is hard to catch them. And there is a problem of research, too. Maybe we will have time to talk about it at AERA, Vera. Mike,It may have been a clash of C1 and C2 (as in Culture) -- You meant a praise, and I took it as... something else. But thanks for clarifying... Ana --------------------------------------------Ana Marjanovic-Shane1-267-334-2905(m)1-215-843-2909(h) -----Original Message-----