RE: Thinking in a foreign language

From: Phil Chappell (phil_chappell@access.inet.co.th)
Date: Mon Apr 21 2003 - 03:41:27 PDT

At 12:36 21/4/03 +0800, Angel wrote:
>I think the existing or traditional foreign/second
>langauge acquisition literature tends to depoliticalize and "technicalize" the
>very sociopolitical act of multi-langauge/lingual (and multicultural)
>learning. Here, I think postcolonial studies and globalization studies will
>be as useful resources as language learning theories.

Here yee, Angel. On a very practical note, Halliday (Language as Social
Semiotic 1978) claims that no language can ever completely replace the
mother tongue, and for second language learners/users, certain kinds of
abilities are difficult to acquire in another language, including;

1. Saying the same thing in different ways
2. Hesitating, and saying nothing very much (or waffling while thinking
what to say next)
3. Predicting what the other person is going to say
4. Adding new verbal skills (learning new words and meanings) while talking
and listening

These "abilities" (socioculturally acquired practices in the mother tongue)
seem to me to be essential for inclusion in the dominant-language
sociocultural milieu, including the classroom. I think this points to some
very important considerations in terms of the politics of education
vis-a-vis children and adults with a minority L1, as well as to the
language development conditions that EFL/ESL teachers create in the classroom.

>>I think postcolonial studies and globalization studies will
be as useful resources as language learning theories.

A good start is Homi Bhabha's 'The Location of Culture' (thankfully
recommended by Jay Lemke).

Interesting topic!

Phil