Re: Attribution Theory

From: Dale Cyphert (Dale.Cyphert@uni.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 10 2003 - 06:08:27 PDT

Attribution Theory is a pretty standard basis for many communication and
management theorists. I've never thought of it as particulary related
to behavior modification. Here are a couple of the old chestnuts, but a
psych-lit search--even a google search--will give you more than enough
information on its applications.

Fritz Heider, The Psychology of Interpersonal Relations, John Wiley &
Sons, New York, 1958

Kelley, H. H. (1973). The processes of causal attribution. American
Psychologist, 28, 107-128.

Kelley, H. H. (1967). Attribution theory in social psychology. In D.
Levine, Ed., Nebraska Symposium on Motivation. Lincoln: University of
Nebraska Press.

dale

Phil Chappell wrote:
> Hi All,
> I'm in the middle of a conference on Research in English Language
> Teaching and sat through a paper presentation which used attribution
> theory to help interpret learners' introspections on their "failures" in
> a course. It seems that learners' responses are classified into external
> or internal attributions (explanations??) I haven't come across this
> theory before, and when I did a quick search of references provided by
> the presenter, I noted that its application appears to be frequently
> associated with behaviour modification. Does anyone have any experience
> with this?
>
> Thanks,
> Phil

Dale Cyphert, Ph.D.
Business Communication Program Coordinator
University of Northern Iowa
1227 W.27th Street
Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0125
(319) 273-6150