Re: CHAT and Evaluation

From: Bob Williams (bobwill@actrix.co.nz)
Date: Wed Apr 09 2003 - 15:32:55 PDT

At 7:27 AM -0400 9/4/03, Bill Barowy wrote:
>Hi Bob,
>
>I've been thinking about the creation of our course assessment form (in the
>US, assessment is distinguished from evaluation) as a boundary object, and
>here it borders on academic and administrative systems of activity. There
>are more than two. Its creation is leading systemic change in the university
>practices of evaluation, thru a new instrument (artifact), rules surrounding
>its use, and even its influence on other instruments, such as changes in the
>technological infrastructure to make it available on-line, while meeting
>policy concerning its use. While not a truely expansive learning of the
>institution, because for many of the collective subject the change will be by
>rote application, there is indeed significant change. I'm not confused about
>the Evaluation and CHAT at all.

I think that is a nice example of "evaluation" being seen as a mediating artifact (or tool) within an activity system. In other words you have removed the tensions I mentioned by placing evaluation in a traditional CHAT framework.

Essentially I do the same when I take CHAT and place its ideas into Evaluations I'm undertaking. CHAT then become a mediating tool in the Evaluation activity system.

Subjugating both CHAT and Evaluation to the level of tools in each other's methodological frameworks may relieve a bit of tension, but I think also removes the potential for learning. So for a while I'll keep the pressure up and continue asking the question, what have these two well established fields of inquiry have to learn from each other ?

Cheers

Bob

--
BOB WILLIAMS	Mobile (64) 21 254 8983
Check out the free resources on my WEB site

Social change happens when a small group of people hold fast to an idea despite overwhelming odds. It doesn't always work, but staying at home never does. Jon Carrol "San Francisco Chronicle"