Re: CHAT and Evaluation

From: LHolzdan@aol.com
Date: Tue Apr 08 2003 - 07:04:04 PDT

In a message dated 4/7/03 11:10:15 PM, mcole@weber.ucsd.edu writes:

<< what is the difference between evaluation and chat? Lois, you seem to know.
How can one act or participate in activity without evaluating what one is
doing? >>

Apparently one can or there are enough people who believe one can or believe
that evaluation must be formalized. As it's been explained to me, most social
service and educational programs generally are run without any formal
evaluation by participants. Thus, "participatory evaluation" and "youth
participatory evaluation" — techniques and methods to "train" staff and
clients in evaluating their own programs — has developed as an industry and
quasi-academic field, with the joint objectives of greater accountability on
the one hand and empowerment on the other. The person I mentioned, Kim Sabo,
is someone with a chat background (CUNY grad center) who does some
interesting work in this area.
Lois