RE: L1 helping L2

From: Ana Marjanovic-Shane (anamshane@speakeasy.net)
Date: Thu Mar 27 2003 - 16:33:35 PST

Dear Karin,
This is a fascinating problem. I would agree to a certain extent with Phil,
but I would also elaborate it a bit further. The choice of a language, I
think, will depend on:
1. on one hand, a particular activity in which one is engaged and
2. on the other, the extent to which one has developed linguistic tools for
that particular activity.

Most of the time L1 will be more developed than L2 for most of the
activities. The difference in the development of linguistic tools necessary
for an activity, between L1 and L2, will likely be greater for more complex
intellectual activities. For instance:

Mike mentioned that "when asked to do numerical
calculations, even highly adept l2 users revert to L1". This is true for
many bilingual people. (like in my case)

However, I would add that this is true only if the numerical calculations
are learned in L1 and have a better developed set of linguistic tools to
make them fast and reliable.
There is a reverse situation, too. It often happens when the schools use a
different language than the one spoken at home. In those situations, people
learn to perform certain intellectual operations better in L2 than in L1.
Many people in former colonial countries, as well as minorities in host
countries, learn one language at home and another in school. They may do
math and or other academic and intellectual tasks better in the language of
their formal education, but some other activities must be performed in their
"native" language to be "real".

I would say that whichever language is the one that better serves certain
cognitive activity, that language will tend to be preferred for that
particular task.

Ana