Re: An Open Letter to George W. Bush

From: Peter Smagorinsky (smago@coe.uga.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 18 2003 - 13:45:39 PST

I'm not surprised so far with anything GWB has said or done. What I find so
distressing is the intolerance shown among American people for dissenters
and their bullying in the name of patriotism. Lynn Cheney has played a role
in this with her effort to silence dissent on campuses--see
http://www.goacta.org/publications/Reports/defciv.pdf. In today's paper
there was an article about the lead singer of the Dixie Chicks, a native
of Lubbock, TX, who apologized to a crowd in England because GWB is a
Texan, and in response was met with boycotts of their music and CD
-smashing (see http://www.salon.com/ent/wire/2003/03/15/dixie_chicks/),
after which she apologized for her remarks. Protesters have been bullied
(e.g., http://www.indypgh.org/news/2003/01/886.php), etc. It's a short step
from here to fascism, and the alarming thing is that the people are complicit.
Peter