Ricki Goldman on the Scribner Award process

From: Jay Lemke (jaylemke@umich.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 25 2003 - 16:04:24 PST

I did contact Ricki Goldman-Segall and ask her views on the process for the
Scribner Award.

She was very sympathetic to our concerns, but is not sure she has much
influence with the Division C governing committee and VP. I believe she
will mention the matter to the current VP, especially if we encourage her
to do so. You will notice that she personally favors an even wider
democratization of the voting, but not necessarily a narrowing of the range
of potential candidates, if this is to remain a divisional career award.

She did also provide the following information about the current process
and make-up of the selection committee, which I am forwarding at her request.

JAY.

Jay Lemke
Professor
University of Michigan