Scribner award

From: Jay Lemke (jaylemke@umich.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 24 2003 - 18:36:30 PST

Having read the various messages, I am certainly sympathetic to Mike's
discomfort that the Scribner award has been evolving into a generic Div C
honor with no connection to its original intent or to her work.

Trying to take back the award or name for the SIG is one option, but I
agree that as a Div C award it does carry more prestige, continues her
memory, and keeps her work and viewpoint visible at the center of AERA
every time the call for nominations goes out or the award is given ... no
matter who it goes to.

Perhaps we can anjoy a bit of both options, if Div C would just agree that
the SIG should always have one representative on the selection committee?

This year's chair, Ricki Goldman, is a good friend of mine. Perhaps she
would be willing to carry a message about our concerns.

JAY.

Jay Lemke
Professor
University of Michigan