Gorbachev's perspective

From: Stetsenko, Anna (AStetsenko@gc.cuny.edu)
Date: Sun Feb 16 2003 - 14:19:05 PST

 An interesting quote from Gorbachev's web site that I came across in one of
the Russian newspapers today:

Mikhail Gorbachev gave the following explanation to the present US politics:
"It might be that some politicians deliberately want to cross the boundary
after which the whole world would become de-stabilized, in order to then
establish a new world order, based not on international laws but on force.
Yes, a new world order is acutely needed. But it seems that the US
administration believes that this world order should be the prerogative of
the US, so that the interests of this country would be of a priority,
whereas the interests of all other countries would be ignored... I would
like to remind the present US president of a conclusion made by his
predecessor in 1963, when John Kennedy said: 'if you think that the future
world will be Pax Americana, you are wrong. Either there would be a world
for all, or there would be no world at all'."

Gorbachev suggested to look for the causes of the present crisis not in
Iraq, but in the situation that has developed in the US itself. He said:
"There would be no change in politics unless the US starts to contemplate
its own model of economical and social development and unless it makes an
effort to look at the world with more realism. In other words, what is
needed is a profound perestrojka of the US itself."