life in america

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 10 2003 - 15:10:24 PST

The good news is that people in LA are forming support for immigrants
forced to register. The bad news follows.

The discourse in and about 'evidence based' education is heating up!

-------------------------------------- Date: 1/10/03 8:37 AM >From: Tim Mahoney I received this message from a colleague. Although some of you may have seen this already, I think it deserves everyone's attention.

>From Susan Ohanian: > > On December 27, 2002, The Vermont Society for the Study of Education > (VSSE) sent the following Open Letter to Secretary Rod Paige. Copies > were sent to major media and professional organizations. I urge > other people to alert their media and professional organizations. > Also Congressional representatives. > > We sent these snail mail. VSSE has classy-looking letterhead and we > think the short message packs quite a punch. > > If you haven't read details of Lyon's outrageous statement, you can > see them on my homepage. > > susan > http://www.susanohanian.org > > > > Dear Secretary Paige:

Speaking at a major policy forum held by the Council for excellence in Government, titled "Evidence-Based Education Forum with Secretary Paige," Reid Lyon, Chief, Child Development and Behavior Branch, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, made the following statement:

If there was any piece of legislation that I could pass it would be to blow up colleges of education.

We find Reid Lyon's statement to be terribly chilling, entirely unacceptable and clearly irresponsible. We call for his immediate dismissal.

Sincerely,

Vermont Society for the Study of Education