Re: url for constructionism

From: MnFamilyMan@aol.com
Date: Tue Dec 31 2002 - 06:40:22 PST

In a message dated 12/29/2002 2:44:57 PM Central Standard Time,
mcole@weber.ucsd.edu writes:

> www.papert.org/articles/SituatingConstructionism.html

But if I am being really serious about this, I have to ask (and this will
quickly lead us into really deep psychological and epistemological waters)
what reasons I have to suppose that you will be willing to do this and that
if you did construct your own constructionism that it would have any
resemblance to mine?

Mike;

First off thank you much for the heads up on this guy, never heard of him. A
problem I have envcountered with this whole 'construct' of students
constructing their learning is the subjective nature of the classroom
environment. As I age and watch my own children grow, I have realized that I
do want public school to be an environment for the enculturation of my
children. For example, instead of this constructivist idea that young
children don't need to know how to spell correctly maybe school's message
should hold proper spelling as an important cultural artifact. And that
instead of math and science trying to assist students in constructing
knowledge, generic facts should be drilled for a baseline of knowledge from
which to construct that knowledge. IMHO elementary schools should not be
montessori but rather 7-12 should be the open grades where exploration helps
students discover their world, whether that be a classroom with textbooks or
the gravel that made the school parking lot.

eric