Re: constructivist/ constructionist distinction

From: Willow Brown (willow_brown@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Dec 29 2002 - 10:20:56 PST

I have been grappling with distinctions between social constructivism and social constructionism. Previously, I determined that constructionism was the ontology underlying constructivist epistemology. Having just reread Prawat and Peterson's "Social Constructivist Views of Learning" in the Handbook of Research on Educatational Administration, I feel my distinction is confirmed, though not explicitly. In this article, it seems that an individual person's knowledge construction is "constructivist", while the creation of culture through interpersonal interaction is "constructionist". Would neo-Vygotskian scholarsmore experienced than myself agree with this interpretation? Thanks for your help. Willow Brown, University of Saskatchewan, Canada.

MSN 8 helps eliminate e-mail viruses. Get 3 months FREE*. 3 months FREE*.