Re: Hisaab and arithmetic

From: King D Beach (kdbeach@pilot.msu.edu)
Date: Sun Dec 22 2002 - 10:25:41 PST

Eric,

I absolutely agree with you that diferent systems of activity have different
functions, including schooling, which is why I said that I am generally highly
skeptical of attempts to make school curricula "more like the everyday"
(everyday being a horrible gloss on a multitude of things). At the same time,
folks do create relations across different systems of activity, and the
activities themselves are developmentally/historically related. I do believe
that those relations are a legitimate objects of study and concern, given that
it is in the transition between schooling and other activity systems where
people often struggle (or opt out of the struggle entirely), and is where
academic discourse can overwhelm other forms of discourse in struggles for
legagogical interven
Pedigogical interventions that attempt to make connections between school on the
one hand and the
home, community, or work on the other under the assumption that conections are
"a good" ignores the complexity. Here we
probably agree?

I'd love to see a coave limited and rather clunky email access.

Cheers,

King

> > > --part1_46.32df9c59.2b3740b6_boundary
>
> In a message dated 12/19/2002 1:56:00 PM Central Standard Time,
> kdbeach@pilot.msu.edu writes:
>

> > At the same time, that fact that it is often
> > the researcher rather than the participants who are drawing out the
> > connections between these makes for challenges if we want to help
> > folks create connections between classroom-and say family-based
> > practices in math, science, or literacy, and without having the
> > "school come crashing into the home," to borrow a phrase from Ray
> > McDermott.
> >

> King;
>
> Why is it that there needs to be a connection between school and home
> learning. Maybe it is a copout but the end of the paper I just completed I
> conclude that there is no reason to do away with standardized tests but
> rather they should be seen for their contextual usefulness. Schools cannot be

> everything, maybe the schools best use is for enculturation and the teaching
> of generic facts. Everyday life happens regardless of school. Is there a need

> to have everything learned in school be compatible with everything else?
>
> eric
>
> --part1_46.32df9c59.2b3740b6_boundary
>
> <HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT COLOR="#0080ff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSER
IF" FACE="Arial Rounded MT Bold" LANG="0">In a message dated 12/19/2002 1:56:00
PM Central Standard Time, kdbeach@pilot.msu.edu writes:<BR>
> <BR>
> </FONT><FONT COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY=
"SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
> <BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px;
 MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">At the same time, that fact that it is of
ten <BR>
> the researcher rather than the participants who are drawing out the <BR>
> connections between these makes for challenges if we want to help <BR>
> folks create connections between classroom-and say family-based <BR>
> practices in math, science, or literacy, and without having the <BR>
> "school come crashing into the home," to borrow a phrase from Ray <BR>
> McDermott.<BR>
> </BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
> </FONT><FONT COLOR="#0080ff" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY=
"SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial Rounded MT Bold" LANG="0"><BR>
> King;<BR>
> <BR>
> Why is it that there needs to be a connection between school and home learning
.&nbsp; Maybe it is a copout but the end of the paper I just completed I conclud
e that there is no reason to do away with standardized tests but rather they sho
uld be seen for their contextual usefulness. Schools cannot be everything, maybe
 the schools best use is for enculturation and the teaching of generic facts. Ev
eryday life happens regardless of school. Is there a need to have everything lea
rned in school be compatible with everything else?<BR>