Re: what begets schooling

From: King Beach (kdbeach@pilot.msu.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 18 2002 - 08:44:29 PST

Jay,

In the part of the world other than the U.S. that I am most familiar
with, the earliest known "schools," or at least training
organizations as distinct from family and community were the
monasteries and ashrams, which served, beginning in B.C. times (and
still serve) the purpose of apprenticing folks into "professional"
religious roles. Many of these had the explicit agenda of removing
children from existing family and community structures to serve what
was seen as the good of the larger society. Being involved in family
and community life was considered to interfere with religious
training. Kind of makes me wonder how influential this sort of
agenda has been in creating our conception of schooling...

At any rate, I would be very interested to see what you come up with
in your historical search. I absolutely agree that this sort of
historical analysis is need to understand how schools have evolved in
relation to other institutions, and as a step to envisioning
alternatives. I am generally skeptical of efforts to try to make
schools more like other social organizations, or other social
organizations more like schools precisely because it ignores all of
the historical developments that have lead to the current
institutional relations.

The trick in doing a back-read on the origins of school, of course,
is figuring out what a school precursor is when it doesn't conform to
our conception of school (same problem that Fleck took on in his
Genesis of a Scientific Fact). You might want to take a look at
Patricia Cohen's book, "A Calculating People." Sorry I don't have
the full ref. handy right now. While Cohen's book does not go back
to the Sumerians, it does a nice job of showing how schooling and
arithmetic calculation as social practice coevolved in the early
U.S., which may give your some clues to apply elsewhere.

Cheers,

King

--
King Beach