Re: XMCA course enquiry

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 13 2002 - 08:38:48 PST

Dear Stephanie-- I am copying your note to xmca because despite repeated
attempts to make clear what we are trying to do, similar questions keep
arising. If this answer is insufficiently helpful, ask again another way.

Here is your question:

I am a PhD student enrolled with the National Institute of Education/Nanyang Tec
hnological University, Singapore, and I am writing the enquire about the XMCA on
line course.

I am just wondering if the course credit arrangements apply to overseas institut
ions as well? Alternatively, is it possible to register for the course, complet
e all the course requirements (ie the final paper, summaries, discussions etc) a
nd get a formal letter similar to a "certificate of attendance"?

Thank you very much for your help and very sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Stefanie Chye
-------------------

What we envision is several forms of participation:

1. Individual students may get credit at their home institution is they
have a sponsoring faculty member who will make the appropriate arrangements
and be responsible for evaluation.

2. Students who have no such sponsor may get course credit for a graduate
course in Communication at UCSD called "Mediational Theories of Mind." I
will be teaching this course, using the current reading list, from mid-
March to June. To get official credit with a transcript from UCSD will cost,
I am told, $75.00.

3. Anyone who wishes to participate, student, faculty, or interested person
not associated with a university is welcome to do so following the general
rule that participation is intended to support the overall effort at
international efforts to understand cultural-historical activity theory. I
suppose I could make up a "certificate of participation" which might
constitute social capital for some.

The online version of this course starts now, more or less, and continues
until June, in order to provide for a lot of time slippage and in order to
coordinated with courses going on in various places on one or more of the
topics in this course, during which time, the person teaching that course
will play a leading, mentoring, role for us all.
mike