Re: replicating russian experiments from 1930's

From: MnFamilyMan@aol.com
Date: Sat Nov 23 2002 - 20:24:50 PST

In a message dated 11/20/2002 7:35:24 PM Central Standard Time,
mcole@weber.ucsd.edu writes:

> Eric and Phillip -- There are several attempts to replicate key vygotskian
> experiments and it is a complicated picture. Ivanova in J Russian Pscyh
> replicated both Maniulenko and (blocking on other study). She replicates
> but the age level is pushed way down. Historical change? Procedures?
> Familiarity
> with experimenter???
>
> An open mind and more research seem useful in this case.
> mike

Mike;

Because of the interest in the current discussion and the relevance to
Activity Theory, I would suggest that you make your 1996 article for Cultural
Psychology required for this online course. This is a great article that
summarizes both your cross-cultural studies as well as a CHAT interpretation
of formal schooling on cognitive development.

eric