course of course

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 21 2002 - 21:14:58 PST

Seems like the discussion of Gordon's paper has about run its course,
and it provides, in itself, a nice segue into starting up a course.

Here is what I propose:

I will provide a tentative "syllabus" for critique and suggestions for
substitution based on a combination of what Yrjo and I have used in the
course before (variable over time and person taking the lead). Folks
can make suggested substitutions for a week, and then we begin.

The rought order goes like this:

(by topic, no time limit indicated or known at present)

1. Some examples of contemporaty articles in the CHAT tradition
2. Revolutionary Roots: Marx
3. Philosophical roots: Marx, Ilyenkov, Bakhurst, Jones, Dewey, Pierce and...
4. First generation: Vygotsky
5. Second generation: Leontiev, Luria, activity and mediation
6. The pedagogical dimension
7. The work dimension
8. The medical dimension
9. Chat and Diversity
10. Challenges for the present and the future

I know only this about scheduling. In January, Helsinki's CHAT group begins
its course and Reijo will be leading the discussion on MArx. I hope for
help between now and then with the topic 1 from our little band of volunteer
coordinators, which includes bb, gordon, jim and david and.... (feel free
to join). Coordinators are not seers and are not ex-spurts (drips under
pressure). They are instigators, linkers, helpers, and inquirers. Hopefully,
they will get lots of help; one volunteers for the role by playing it. I
have no doubt that the signals of "this is playing it" will be clear.

Anyone with a better idea is more than welcome to propose it, including
telling those nutty enough to engage the process to go somewhere else to
play. Elsewhere are all over the place.

mike