Re: Authentic dialogue in inauthentic context

From: Phil Chappell (phil_chappell@access.inet.co.th)
Date: Tue Nov 19 2002 - 01:34:09 PST

Phillip,
Thanks for those thoughts. I have just begun reading the small amount of
literature on play in the second language classroom, and concur entirely
with what you say...I was being a little harsh on the activity by calling
it inauthentic (a pretty controversial term in foreign/second language
education). My dilemma was finding a point of departure for using Activity
Theory (as a newcomer to applying it to my own classroom-based research).
Extending Vygotsky's view of child play as activity that creates a zone of
proximal development in which the child behaves beyond his/her day-to-day
capabilities and boundaries to adult play/theatre in the language learning
classroom is certainly an area worth exploring.

I'll look into Keith Sawyer's work.

Phil