Re: Authentic dialogue in inauthentic context

From: MnFamilyMan@aol.com
Date: Mon Nov 18 2002 - 05:10:53 PST

In a message dated 11/18/2002 3:44:54 AM Central Standard Time,
phil_chappell@access.inet.co.th writes:

> You mention the genesis of verbal interactions (I don't want to put words in
> your mouth), I read potential forms of meaning/knowledge, I always have
> Bakhtin's notions of speech genres in mind, and I still miss the point
> within sociocultural theory of some telos of internalised, individual
> mental functioning without coming back to a focus on the individual.

Phil;

for me the point is exactly what you mention about potential forms of
meaning/knowing. Vygotsky used psychological tools because they can have
multiple meanings. There is always the socially agreed upon meaning but then
as a person is introduced to a new psychological tool they will interpret it
in a way that may not coincide with what society has defined.

Alfred uses infants because their acquisition of language is a very firm
example of the genesis of meaning. Many one-year-olds learning to talk call
all women 'mom' or all men 'dad' or call all shapes ball or etc. Vygotsky
was interested in studying the genesis of meaning making in the individual
and then comparing this genesis cross-categorically.

eric