cultural artifacts/psych tools

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 15 2002 - 09:12:40 PST

Eric--
There is probably straight out disagreement or else conceptual misunderstanding
regarding these terms. I am not sure which.

I believe that cultural artifacts function as psychological tools
depending upon the specifics of the case in question. My concern
is to claim the primal unity in human life of the material and
ideal in human culture/mind. Vygotsky divided mediators into two
kinds depending upon their orientation. Kozulin has his interpretation.

You might ask yourself when and whether and how making or not making
such distinctions makes a difference.
mike