Re: Teaching practices

From: MnFamilyMan@aol.com
Date: Wed Nov 13 2002 - 15:51:32 PST

Judy;

I am a special education teacher who works in a transition program for
students aged 16-21. The administration of my district views us as the
solution for severely and emotionally disturbed students who have not been
even close to successful in the speciallized programs housed in St. Pual's
several high schools. The theory behind a transition program is to provide
the supports necessary for assisting the student to find their place as a
productive adult in our community.

The praxis is therefore a push and pull between providing asistance and
removing assistance. Camping by far has been the most valuable practice for
both assessing how a student is able to function in a real life setting as
well as provide an environment that allows the student to direct what will
occur; when we eat, what we eat, what the activities will be. It is intended
as a student directed activity and I do my best to assure that that is what
occurs.

The identifying of wild mushrooms is an example of an activity that would be
similar to what Gordon writes about in his paper. I have attempted to do
similar activites in the classrooom and am met with much resistance but
during the relaxed atmosphere of a camping trip the students are more willing
to initiate the activity.

Make sense?
eric