Re: emotion and...appraisal

From: Phil Chappell (phil_chappell@access.inet.co.th)
Date: Mon Nov 11 2002 - 01:20:21 PST

At 23:08 10/11/02 -0500, you wrote:
>So you might say that what I am after is not just another academic
>discourse that neuters feeling, but a different kind of practice that does
>not need to, that does not sacrifice the uses of theoretical and semiotic
>analysis (or perhaps in this case, of synthesis, of production), but finds
>ways to make meanings about feeling that also evoke our feelings
>(delightful and apprehensive) about meanings.

Just an observation, Jay. The appraisal system of systemic functional
linguistics (I'm avoiding acronyms) is a tool for analysing the evaluative
aspect of interpersonal meaning, including affect. Analysing the discourse
of many registers (or genres...) including various academic discourse
communities using the tools of systemic functional linguistics foregrounds
the political nature of language choices that otherwise may remain hidden.
This, I feel, is where our own academic practices are called into question.
It seems that you are suggesting that we "find ways to make meanings about
feeling that also evoke our feelings" by becoming more aware of how
academic discourse can position through the various discourse semantics
that are realised in the appraisal system.

Phil