Re: I think it is a mistake

From: MnFamilyMan@aol.com
Date: Sun Nov 10 2002 - 16:47:33 PST

Bill;

Perhaps for psychology it is not possible to objectively divide human
development into quantifiable units; to do so, because of the many varied
'ideas' on the subject, would ultimately alienate somebody who did not feel
included.

That said, I believe Alfred is onto something with his discussion of
cognitive, emotion and motivation as being similar enough to combine into one
unit or field [I have mentioned earlier that Valsiner calls them zones].
Then there is the field [Kurt Lewin's word] that a person comfortably
negotiates; their culture. Then there is the field that is unknown but still
negotiable. This would provide us with three distinct units of study.
Similar, I believe to Engstroms activity triangle.

O)f course, having mixed and matched terminology I may have said something
without saying anything at all because for you you may interpret field to be
completely different then unit and unit to be something completely different
then zone and I asume your native language to be English. I imagine it even
more difficult for someone who had the privelege of growing up with a
different language.

Therefore, in concept I like the idea of quantifiable units for the study of
human development and I appreciate the dialogue you have engaged with me but
ultimately it does not seem possible.

But of course today's impossiblity is the future's possibility,
eric