An example of everyday behaviors in a school

From: MnFamilyMan@aol.com
Date: Wed Nov 06 2002 - 16:04:58 PST

Carol;

I should clarify first of all that in my thinking I view the culture of a
classroom as different then the culture of the environment in which people
encounter in their everyday life, this is not to criticize classroom skills
as unimportant but rather to point out how critical it is educators start
viewing out of classroom skills as important. The literature I refer to has
been referenced in the past on xmca and if pressed I will certainly provide
specific instances that would support this idea. I understand that students
in a classroom will speak in 'everyday' language but as long as this is
occurring in a classroom culture it is hard to differentiate it from the
classroom structure.

Perhaps to carify my thinking on this I will provide an example. Oftentimes
a student who is struggling in class will 'drift' towards a relationship with
a school receptionist, custodian, library aid, etc. The adult that this
student relates to will not view the student in the same light as the
student's classroom teacher who views the student as disruptive or 'learning
disabled'. Being able to quantify this behavior and compare it across
environments would be very helpful to special education teachers who fight an
uphill battle to keep high school age 'problem' students engaged in the
educational process.

Yes mike a stone is a process, a table is a process as well as school
records.

still processing,
eric