Special Education as a cultural phenomenon: A Vygotskian perspective

From: MnFamilyMan@aol.com
Date: Tue Nov 05 2002 - 15:17:40 PST

In a message dated 11/5/2002 1:00:17 PM Central Standard Time,
VYGOTSKY@CHARTER.NET writes:

> So, Gordon, where were the special education students?

Thank you nate. I have started to write a longer response more then once and
because of a frequency I have for being to quick to respond I have pulled
back my words and thought more carefully; thank you to those who cared enough
to straighten me out on my manners :) Within my frequency of contact with
this issue I have forgotten that this indeed is at the heart of the debate in
free country educational systems. At no other time in history have people
cared so deeply for those who cannot compete equally with able bodied people.
 My questions about quantifiable units in the study of human development fall
at the heart of the question of what is special education and why is it so
important that people be successful in classrooms at the expense of their
value in everyday settings.

eric