utterances, actions, video, and audio

From: Bill Barowy (wbarowy@attbi.com)
Date: Tue Nov 05 2002 - 05:09:56 PST

Nate's question concerning the differences between what is said and what
other actions take place can be explored, if you have the bandwidth, with the
two versions of the recorded episode on the web. This might be a useful way
to investigate how the utterances interweave with other actions in the
episode. I've just used video and closed my eyes when i wanted audio only.

Trivial example: I listened to the audio only version first and could not
figure out what the early swishing sound was -- only to see a restless boy at
the back when i viewed the video.

Technical Tips. If you open each version in its own browser window, then you
can go back and forth without download delays -- the browser will use the
locally cached version. If you have quicktime pro, you can save either
version to the computer hard drive.