RE: mediation, symmetry, and ANT

From: Ana Marjanovic-Shane (anamshane@speakeasy.net)
Date: Mon Nov 04 2002 - 20:48:48 PST

HI,
"if we can't have a chat with a chair..." says Jay
and Kevin adds
Listen more often to things than to beings, Listen more often to things
than to beings/'Tis the ancestors breath, when the fire's voice is
heard/'Tis the ancestors breath in the voice of the waters/Oh Aaah,
Wsssh, Oh Aaah, Wssh/Those who have died have never never left//The dead
are not under the earth/They are in the rustling trees/They are in the
groaning woods/They are in the crying grass/They are in the moaning
rocks/The dead are not under the earth..."

Suddenly it may seem that I don't have an ear for poetry or a sensitivity to
find beauty in nature and things that surround us, that I can't feel how
things sometimes lead us somewhere we didn't even know about...
I did not mean it that way.
It is not that I don't see us all in a network of interaction with all kinds
of phenomena in this world. We are all material, by the way. All the meaning
making is done using material objects and real acts. When we speak we move
our bodies and vocal cords and produce sounds. When we write, we make other
movements and produce visible traces in many ways (I couldn't tell you
anything now if I did not touch these keys). And yes, in this sense, there
is not just symmetry between "material things and actions" and "symbols and
meaning making". They are the same in using and making material objects and
real actions/acts.
It is not even that I thought that things/objects/nonhumans couldn't feel
and communicate (make meaning) their own feelings/states/wishes... I thought
I was talking about the asymmetry of the functions, which together create
meaning - "meaning" as yet another node or wrinkle in the matrix of
relations, a matrix that simultaneously has different time scales, different
space scales, different meaning scales. I see meaning making as an act
within an activity (within larger social-historical circumstances ... it
quickly gets complicated, heh?). This act - a motion let's say - creates
instantly - not only relationships between all the participants in the
dialogue, but also, this act creates the participants - or at least adds a
little bit to the creation of these participants...

I am looking at this episode (thank you BB for putting it on the air, thank
you Gordon for filming it and giving it to us), and I see an incredibly
complex "dance" in which so many things go on. To read the transcription -
is tedious and hard to understand. To watch the movie is instantaneous and
immediately sensible. I'll take just one "beat", one "motion". Those are the
lines 36 - 43 in Gordon's transcript. I am transcribing them here without
gestures and intonation - I hope you watched the movie and have the
transcript near by:
36 L: "Look at that sailboat"
37 J: "That's neat."
38 L: "Yeah and then we could make something like use *air to make it roll"
39 J: "*wind power"
40 L: "like use *wind power?
41 J: "*Yeah"
42 L: "I mean <that's>"
43 J: "*Yeah - wind power. (Taps rapidly on picture then looks at L on
"wind power")

When you watch the movie you see that this is the moment when an OBJECT gets
created. This object is not the same "thing" as the picture in the book -
which is there at the beginning. We could say that it was the picture in the
book that "made" them construct their own object. In that sense - the
picture book is a very complex object made by someone else (many people,
whole systems, really: a writer, a painter, a publisher, a book-seller,
school teacher who bought the book, and before that: the object which was
depicted ...etc - you could probably trace the history there at least
cursory). But, a quick glance, little longer than at other pictures plus L's
comment about air/wind power and J moves in 43 (underlined) to look away in
space, open her mouth (impressed??), then looks back at L. This is a
"click" - their object is made now. They continue to discuss this object
(how to make wind power...). And there is a pleasure at creating something
together - the bond between the girls strengthens...
One should note that this really is an object of a different kind - it is an
object of their dialogue - it does not exist as a thing ("gegenstand") but
as a concept or a plan that they start to elaborate.
What is remarkable here is not that there is a difference between on one
hand, social relationship between the two girls, and on the other, their
individual relationships with the "idea of the boat on wheels", but that
there is a connection (relation) between these two different orientations.
And each part of this triangle: "L"-"boat"-"J" mediates between the two
others. Each one of them becomes something a bit different through this
motion.

This is what I was trying to talk about - there is a functional asymmetry of
the relations within the mediating relationships in meaning making.
I do see this kind of meaning making as different from other kinds of
communication between people, or between things, or between
people/animal/things. I do not think that it is isolated, though from other
types of communication, instead it is very integrated into all others. But I
do see a need to study this particular type of communication in more detail
because it is an activity that tranforms (or forms) its makers. The various
dimensions of this activity, which go into this brief instance range from
symbols/tools that are made by a culture over a long period of time and by
many people, to the very small moment in which a new meaning is created:
language they use; books they use; school as an institution where children
like them can engage in this type of activity; clothes they wear; their own
personal realtionship and the brief history of the sicence class...; their
relationships with the other children;...).
I think we are all trying to describe the same processes only each one of us
has a particular angle (zoom?). We use different concepts, but they all
overlap in some ways and compliment each other.

Ana

Ana Marjanovic-Shane
home: 1-215 - 843 - 2909