travels

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 04 2002 - 17:27:09 PST

Just a brief note about my travels to visit far off places where xmca
is read and where students are interested in the start of THE CLASS.

London:

1. Fascinating thesis defense on the early work of a.r. luria when he was
combining kropotkin, tolstoy, freud, marx, gestalt psychology, and life in
vulgerly anti-semitic Russia/USSR.

2. Fascinating meeting with Terezhina Nunes and colleagues at Brookes
University in Oxford, where there is very interesting work going on in
the area of math and literacy ed.

3. Fun talk at Oxford where TN and Peter Bryant hosted my visit in great
style (the ancient rooms were warm!) and people stayed on a Friday evening
to hear me talk about education. That talk is now on the lchc web page in
case anyone cares.

4. Great visit to the new Tate museum (no Turners .... :-( ) and dinner
with Jan Derry from the Inst of ed where the ups and most downs of education
in uk and usa were the major topic.

Overall impression: Our UK collegues on xmca share problems which have an
upsetting set of parallels with our governments' partnerships in the world.

We might start by outlawing SUV and AK47's internationally. And limiting
each country in the world to using only so much fossil fuel energy as their
proportion of the population.

(How[s that for a loosing ticket tomorrow in US elections?)
mike