Re: question: Logogenesis

From: Bill Barowy (wbarowy@attbi.com)
Date: Wed Oct 02 2002 - 06:24:13 PDT

Hi Gordon,

It sounds like those references are landing close -- where i'm finding myself
stretched is in understanding the conflicts, semiosis, mesogenesis reflected
in speaking and writing acts, occuring in higher ed among three organizations
of work, aka activity systems: rank and file, school, and the upper reaches
of the adminisphere, and with "outside" influences. Some of the latter being
changes in state certification and accreditation demands. Simultaneously,
tensions have emerged with new expectations/goals generated internally, in a
hegemonic fashion. My data are documents that pass between and among the
systems, and field notes of meetings which poorly capture utterances. And
I'm looking specifically for changes in forms of these communications,
reflecting changes in work practices, with timescales of weeks, months,
perhaps a few years. The complexity is enormous -- yet the problem extremely
practical: How can theory buffer participation in such a dynamic workplace,
(which seems to be becoming increasingly common in education) i.e. create a
place of de-liberate interaction?

So Bakhtin, Gramsci, "third generation" AT, S.L. Star's works come to mind,
but pushing against all of them.

Clauswitz occasionally comes to mind too.

bb