Re: logenesis and thanks

From: Phil Chappell (phil_chappell@access.inet.co.th)
Date: Tue Oct 01 2002 - 19:10:50 PDT

Mike, Gordon and Elina,

I must remember not use question marks and exclamation marks when people are
using web based mail organisers, which I assume you are. +ACI is my
computer's rather strange way of representing these textual markers. It is
not any kind of contemporary version of logogenesis *excl mark*

Thank you Gordon for the Halliday reference. I have been trying to get a
copy for over a year as it is appears to be a seminal work. Unfortunately it
is out of print and I am almost convinced that there isn't a single copy in
the whole of Thailand (ACE inserted here). Your work in Dialogic Inquiry has
helped shape my thinking - I am trying to apply CHAT and SFL to my context
here i.e. adults learning English as a Foreign Language. There appears to be
a big gap in using genre pedagogy to develop oral skills in this high
enclosure context (ie the learners have few opportunities to be apprenticed
into authentic language use through exposure to the social nature of
language other than the inauthentic classroom). I am interested in using SFL
as an analytical tool to look at how language development occurs in terms of
Halliday's metafunctions (specifically, how learners develop their abilities
to represent their experiences of reality, enact social releations and do so
by creating their their "messages" as socially appropriate texts in
context). I think an enlightening approach would be to analyse these texts
as they are produced in the classroom (at the logogenetic level) - the
unfolding of the communicative act of text production in microgenesis, which
may reveal the transition from thought to speech in the foreign language.

Thank you also to Elina for the references. I must have a re-read of Bakhtin
and speech genres. The Durranti reference sounds interesting - I'll look it
up.

Phil Chappell