Re: Logogenesis and Microgenesis

From: Gordon Wells (gwells@cats.ucsc.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 01 2002 - 07:32:23 PDT

>This may be a little off the main topics discussed here, but I was wondering
>if anyone was aware of any theoretical or practical work done that relates
>microgenetic analysis commonly used within a CHAT perspective with analysis
>used by systemic functional linguists - logogenesis? I am specifically
>interested in second language development. Logogenesis, as I understand it,
>refers to the +ACI-unfolding+ACI- of a spoken text in moment by
>moment dialogic
>relations, and SFLers appear to use 'time depth' as a framework for viewing
>language (and other semiotic system) development - logogenesis, ontogenesis
>(development of language in the individual), phylogenesis (developments in
>language over long periods of history) +AFs-taken from Christie and
>Unsworth in
>Unsworth ed's Researching Language in Schools and Communities+AF0-.
>
>It seems to me that these are complementary views shared by two disciplines
>that both foreground social interaction in human development. That is, at
>the microgenetic level (say in a classroom language learning task) part of
>the analysis can be done by referring to the unfolding of the spoken text -
>logogenesis - (with due course paid to other semiotic means, eg
>gesture)However, I have not found any literature that brings the two
>together. The SFLers (e.g. Halliday, Martin, Matthiessen in Australia) have
>done a lot of work describing how genre, register and language project their
>+ACI-semiohistories+ACIAOw- although I am reasonably well-read on
>sociocultural
>theory, I have not found any bridges.
>
>Thanks in advance to anyone who might have some clues.
>
>Phil Chappell

Halliday points in this direction in some of the chapters in Language
as Social Semiotic and, I think, in Learning to Mean. I certainly
agree that CHAT and SFL are complementary. By the way, have you read
William Golding's The Inheritors. Halliday wrote a fascinating
review of that book, which you can find in Explorations in the
Functions of Language.

Gordon Wells

--
Gordon Wells