RE: YES outlines/ Lave McDermott Article summary

From: Jim Rogers (fajimr@cc.usu.edu)
Date: Sun Sep 29 2002 - 20:50:58 PDT

Here is the summary of the article, which indeed looks interesting. Now
I just have to figure out the volume and page numbers so I can
interlibrary loan it. If anyone has a hard copy, could they supply these
details?

jim

Jean Lave & Ray McDermott: Estranged Labor Learning

 This article is in praise of the labor of reading profound and rich
texts, in this case the essay on 'estranged labor' by Karl Marx.
Comparing in detail what Marx wrote on estranged labor with current
social practices of learning and education leads us to comprehensive
ideas about learning
 - including the social practices of alienated learning. We then
emphasize the importance of distribution in the institutionalized
production of alienated learning. And we end this article with critical
reflections on the importance of alienation for the relationship between
teaching and
 learning in the social practice of scholars.